Quick Facts on Hiring a Car in Melbourne
|Vehicle Classes||Economy, Compact, Intermediate, Standard, Fullsize, Premium, Luxury, Wagon/Estate, Van, SUV|
|Number of Depots||24 in CBD|
|Suppliers||Avis, Budget, East Coast, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, Thrifty|
Melbourne Airport Collection
Flying into Melbourne and need a hassle-free hire car? Consider collecting a vehicle from the airport. We work with 8 car hire partners at Melbourne Airport, and with VroomVroomVroom, you'll get real value for money on every booking.
Top Hire Car Tips in Melbourne
Since Melbourne is a bustling city with an extensive tram network, there are some unique conditions to driving in the CBD. Here are some of our top tips when driving in Melbourne:
- Take caution when sharing the road with trams. To ensure your safety, research Melbourne's tramline road rules.
- Consider if your travel route will include toll roads. There are several toll roads in Melbourne including CityLink, which links the CBD and Melbourne Airport, and EastLink, which you'll most likely drive if visiting the Mornington Peninsula. Make sure to discuss payment options with your vehicle supplier upon collection.
- Research parking options: Parking can be expensive in Melbourne. Check online for special offers or discounts, as pre-booking online will often be more affordable. We even have some great offers if you need to park at Melbourne Airport.
- Compare fuel prices: It's important to return your hire car with a full tank of fuel to avoid extra fees, but with so many service stations in Melbourne, it can be hard to know where to find the best value on petrol. Luckily, we've got you covered with our free fuel price comparison app.
- Melbourne's peak traffic times are from 6:30am to 9:00am and from 3:00pm to 6:30pm. Allow for additional travel time when driving in Melbourne during these times.
What Our Customers Say
Glenn (June 2019): Collected a car rental from Hertz in Melbourne City - Flinders Street. Glenn said the drop off process was good but the pickup took really long. The staff were really nice & friendly though. He wishes he could have picked it up from Franklin Street but there was no option for the Golf GTI in that branch. He rated the condition of the Compact Golf GTI a 9/10 and said as a tip that the insurance was really expensive and costs almost as much as the rental itself.
Janine (May 2019): "Excellent. Easy, Quick and Efficient. 3 clicks and booking is done. Good options and confirmation too!"See more customer reviews
FAQs for Melbourne Car Hire
How much does it cost to hire a car in Melbourne?
Prices vary depending on vehicle type, availability, and booking duration. To check current rental rates in Melbourne, use our price comparison tool.
Where can I get a hire car in Melbourne?
You may book a rental vehicle from the Avis, Budget, and Europcar depots at Franklin Street, the Thrifty depot at Southern Cross Station, the Hertz depot at Flinders Street, the Enterprise depot at Little Collins Street, or the East Coast depot at A'Beckett Street.
What is the highest-rated rental car in Melbourne?
The Toyota Kluger or similar, a full-size SUV, is the highest-rated rental car in Melbourne based on recent ratings by our customers.
What is the highest-rated car hire supplier in Melbourne?
Enterprise is the highest-rated car hire supplier in Melbourne based on recent ratings by our customers.