Fast and Easy Way to Compare,
Book and Save on Your Car Hire.
  • Great Rates
  • Wide Selection of Cars
  • Trusted Since 2001
    Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App App Store Google Store

    Licence Requirements for Renting a Car in Australia​

    licence requirements

    VroomVroomVroom has put together an article about driver's licence requirements to ensure that your car rental experience is smooth and simple. While you may have a licence already, you may still end up not being able to hire a car if you don't meet the other requirements such as licence validity and international permits.

    What type of licence do I need?

    In most cases, you will need a full driver's licence held for a minimum of 12 months. If your licence is not in English, you may be required to present an International or Overseas Licence written in English or similarly a translation document​. If you have a Learner's Permit, Provisional or Probationary Licence, you may not be able to hire a rental car.

    Find out more about the different Types of Driver's Licences​.

    Find out more about why you need an International Driving Permit​.​​​

    Before you hire a car in Australia, ensure that you meet the driver's licence requirements. If you are unsure, contact our customer care team so we can assist you in any of your queries. ​
    Keep in mind that if you are between 21-24 years of age you may also face an additional surcharge when renting a car. You can still rent a car if you have a full driver's licence over 12 months old however there may be extra costs associated with the rental.