- see

Will I need an International Driving Permit in Australia?

International driving permit

If you are planning to rent a car in Australia, you will need to have a driver's licence that is printed in English. If your licence is in another language, you will need to present an International Driving Permit along with your licence from your country of residence. An International Driving Permit is a translation only, and will not be valid if it is not presented with your original licence.

If you have an International Driving Permit, there are still some important things you need to know before you pick up your car:

  • Overseas licences are generally accepted from New Zealand, the United States or the United Kingdom.
  • Licences from other countries may also be accepted in their original format, but you will need to check the Terms and Conditions of your rental booking.
  • Your licence will still need to meet other requirements. For example, our car rental partners will only accept driver's licences if they have been held for a minimum of 12 months. Provisional licences are mostly not accepted.
  • Your International Driving Permit must be written in English.
  • International driving permits are only a translation. It is only valid if presented with an official driver's licence from the issuing country.

Read more about Licence Requirements & for Renting a Car in Australia.

For example:

When you present your International Driving Permit . . .

Jane was travelling from Europe to Australia. Because her driver's licence was in French, she had to present her driver's licence in conjunction with an International Driving Permit. When she arrived at the car rental counter to pick up her car, she supplied both documents and was able to pick up her car quickly and efficiently.