Driver's Licence Requirements For Rental Cars in Australia
Aside from looking for a reliable rental car at VroomVroomVroom, there are other things that you need to consider when planning a road trip in Australia. Presenting a driver's licence is a must when booking a hire car. However, some car rental companies may request for other documents, especially to those who are coming from another country.
What are the hire car licence requirements in Australia?
To avoid the hassle of renting a car, it is important to know the required driving licence in Australia. Below are the different types of drivers licence and other important details that you need to know before hiring a car.
- Valid and unrestricted drivers licence - You will not need an international permit if you have held this kind of driving licence for a minimum of 12 months and it is in English. Hertz Tasmania are the exception - 3 years minimum to have held a licence. You will need an international permit if you do not have these prerequisites. All documents must be original. No photocopies are recognised.
- International Driver's Permit - Make sure to present other documents like proof of billing or passport when you present your drivers licence with the permit from the country of residence. (Translation is not sufficient, they need IDP)
- Old drivers licence - Despite moving to another country, your old drivers licence in Australia is still valid as long as you've held it for more than 12 months and hasn't reached its expiry date. However, it still depends on the approval of the supplier and location.
- Open licence - Our suppliers require the drivers to be over 21 and have held an open licence for more than 12 months.
- Provisional (or conditional) licence - Enterprise (formerly Redspot) is the only supplier who may accept this kind of driving licence. However, they do apply a provisional licence surcharge to the rental. Please refer to their Terms and Conditions while booking, for full details.
What is the minimum age requirement when renting a car?
Renters must have had their 21st birthday before car rental pickup. You may book even if you are just 20-years-old as long as you turn 21 before your travel date. However, car rental companies may charge you extra fees if you are below 25 years old. Read here for more details.
What is the maximum age requirement when hiring a car?
There is no maximum age to rent and drive a car in Australia, but it is the location's decision if they will rent to a person over the age of 75. Some states, including Queensland, may ask for a medical certificate to drivers.
We hope that these drivers licence details and other useful information would help you have a fuss-free car rental booking experience with VroomVroomVroom. If you have other queries or concerns, feel free to contact us anytime. You can also reach out to us via Facebook and Twitter.