How to Rent a Car at the Airport
Are you entertaining the idea of renting a car at the airport, but are a little unsure as to how exactly to go about it? If you are one of the few who don't want to waste time queuing for a cab, or lining up in front of the desk of several rental car centers, we can provide you with some helpful pointers on airport car rental. At VroomVroomVroom, we offer the easiest and fastest way to book a car hire in Australia that's why we have listed our three golden rules to make your booking experience a breeze.
1. Reserving a car hire for collection at an airport
- Book early. Oftentimes, "booking early" is a good practice to follow, especially if you need a car during a peak travel time. Remember that the earlier you book, the cheaper the rates are and broader option of vehicles are available. Most people book three months ahead of time to avail and enjoy massive discounts when renting a car. These are especially true during Christmas, Easter and other regular holidays. Rental cars reach their peak rates and easily get sold out during the holiday season.
- Additional fees and charges. Before you make your booking, don't forget to look into or ask about any additional fees specific to your circumstances. Most common fees include underage-driver, airport surcharges and mileage fees. Note that airport surcharges are always included in the Total Cost & one way fees if applicable are always included too. Choosing to reduce your risk by purchasing Rental Car Excess Insurance from an insurance company or car rental supplier is entirely your choice.
- Compare prices online. Whether you are flying for pleasure or business, finding a car at the airport is easy with VroomVroomVroom. Today, you can select from a wide variety of sophisticated and well-maintained vehicles. In fact, every vehicle that's available at the airport for the dates you select in our easy-to-use search engine are all new models. We guarantee you that you will be zipping around in style and comfort once you've picked up your car hire. All you need to do is to just make sure you hire the car category that best suit your needs.
- Choose the same pick-up and drop-off location. One-way booking is more expensive! For example, if you are picking up your rental car in Perth and decide to return it to the Adelaide Airport, you may be surprised to find out that you will incur a 'one-way' drop off fee. Make sure that you choose the same location for pick-up and drop-off so you can get cheaper rates.
2. Picking up the rental car at the airport
- Upon arrival at the airport, proceed to the location where you have reserved your rental car. If arriving on a flight, make sure to include your incoming Flight Number so your booked vehicle will be at the correct Terminal. Also, prepare your booking details, mode of payment (credit/debit card), valid drivers licence/international drivers licence and flight details
to collect your booked car rental. Review your contract thoroughly.
- Pay for the rental. When making payment at the pick-up location, provide the reservation number as well as your driver's licence and credit card. It's recommended to pay with a credit card when possible. Credit card companies will often cover some of your insurance, which makes using a credit card in this instance a smart option for many. But keep in mind that different car rental companies have various policies on whether debit cards can be used.
- Check the car for pre-existing damage. Take a few minutes to check both the exterior and interior of the car as well as the engine. You can also take photos or videos of any pre-existing damage using your smart phone, to have proof of the car's condition at the time of pick-up, in case the supplier believes you have damaged the vehicle. Never accept any rental car with major damage or make sure you inform the supplier if there's slight damage so you can ensure that this is documented.
- Drive away. Once you collect the keys and a copy of your contract, y
ou can now drive your hire car directly from the airport into the city or to your favorite destination.
3. Returning the rental car
- Fill the rental car with fuel before drop off at airport. Note that some rental car contracts allow you the option of returning the car without a full tank of fuel, but you will be charged extra.
- Clean the car. Do not leave any rubbish or dirt. If the agency has to do more than a quick vacuum, you will be charged a cleaning fee. Check the car thoroughly, remove all of your belongings and make sure to lock the car before you leave.
- Express return. There are "express return" boxes for early returns (usually from midnight to 6 am), as most depots are not manned 24hrs a day. There are security drop off return boes built into the counters similar after hours return process. As soon as the staff arrive at work, close off your contract and send on a receipt.
- Return the car back at the agreed upon date and time. Don't be late. Remember that the time you collect the car is when your contract begins. After 24 hours, the second daily rate starts. Most suppliers allow a 29-minute grace period. So if the rental car is not back within the grace period, they charge around 1/3 to 1/2 of the daily rate per hour. Also, all insurances, as well as any extras like child seats & GPS , are charged at the full day rate, even if the vehicle is only 30 minutes past check out time. Should you have any queries or require additional information, check out our our Rental Information, or contact our highly-motivated customer care experts via email, phone call or live chat.