- see

Required Documents in Australia

Required documents

In Australia, the most important documents you will need to pick up your rental car is your drivers licence and a credit card. There are a few important requirements to be aware of regarding your licence. It will need to be printed in English, and generally suppliers require that it has been held for a minimum of one year. Provisional licences are mostly not accepted. If the licence isn't in English, you will also require an International Driving Permit, which must be presented with your licence from your country of residence. Additional drivers will also need to present their licence.

You may also be asked to present your passport if you are not an Australian citizen. Check the terms and conditions of your rental, as specific requirements may differ between supplier and location.

Here is a summary of the items you will need to bring with you to the depot to collect your car:

  • Driving licence
  • International driving permit (if required)
  • Credit card
  • Passport (Please note that this only applies for renters that are not from the country of rental. If they are renting in Australia as an Australian resident then it is not required)

The car rental company will require a valid credit card in the renter's name, and to cover the bond. In some cases, debit cards with the Visa or Mastercard logo will be accepted. You will need to consult the terms and conditions of your car rental company to see their specific policy for payment with debit cards.

Read more about picking up a rental car in Australia.

For example:

When you pick up your rental car

Rayyan arrives in Melbourne to pick up his rental car. He will need to provide a credit card in his name, to cover the bond. Because he holds a Malaysian driving licence, he must also provide an International Driving Permit, and present this along with his driver's licence.