Off Road Driving Advice in Australia
None of our suppliers permit their vehicles to be taken off-road, so you will need to rent a vehicle through a specialist company. We want you to stay safe on the roads in Australia, so we've put together this quick guide to help you.
Popular off-road routes
Although you cannot hire a car to take off-road with our suppliers, you can seek out the services of a specialist company. Here are some popular adventure driving routes in Australia:
- The Simpson Desert is the fourth largest desert in the country and the largest sand dune desert in the world. It stretches between Birdsville and Dallhousie. It can be accessed via Brisbane and Alice Springs.
- Cape York Peninsula is the best place to visit if you want to test your off-road driving skills. There are several tracks to choose from including the CREB Track, which is one of the most challenging tracks in north Queensland.
- Victorian High Country is known for its steep tracks including The Deddick Trail. If you are coming from Melbourne, the driving time is around 2.5 hours via Hume Highway.
- Corner Country lets you experience an unforgettable outback adventure. This popular off road destination is situated at the northwest of New South Wales. It is around 4 hours away from Broken Hill via Silver City Highway.
- Fraser Island is our favourite off roading destination since it is near the VroomVroomVroom head office in Brisbane. This is the largest island in Queensland, and the biggest sand island in the world. The only way to get around this world heritage listed site is on former logging tracks that criss-cross the island, or by driving Eastern Beach, which is considered a highway.
If you are travelling to Fraser Island
- Even though the beach has highway status, unfortunately, no cars from our national suppliers are permitted to be driven off-road, even if they are 4-wheel drive.
- There are many specialist 4-wheel drive hire companies who rent from the nearest mainland town of Hervey Bay. Renting from these companies isn't cheap; they have to build the risks associated with off-road driving into their prices.
- Book your car for the mainland/on road portion of your trip from VroomVroomVroom well in advance for the best price. Hervey Bay is around four hours' drive from our home town of Brisbane.
- A great idea is to break the drive up with at least one night on the gorgeous Sunshine Coast and explore Noosa, or the unspoilt sands of Marcoola Beach.
- Explore your options for a specialist 4-wheel drive rental in Hervey Bay. Most of these companies have secure lock-up parking for your hire car while you are on Fraser Island.
- The 4-wheel drive companies will give you a briefing, with tips on sand driving.
- Your 4WD will come with traction boards, and a gadget to let down your tyre pressure if you get bogged.
- The inland tracks are single lane, so if you should meet someone coming the other way, one of you will need to reverse into the frequent passing bays to let the other through.
Remember, you'll need to hire a vehicle with a specialist company that allows their vehicles to be taken off road. You can find out more information here.