Compare Deals to Find the Cheapest Car Rental in Singapore
Singapore may just be a small country, but there are so many wonderful things you can do here such as going on a Night Safari at the Singapore Zoo, shopping on Orchard Road and sampling the street food at the Hawker Centres, No wonder this place has become one of the favourite holiday destinations of explorers, thrill-seekers, fashionistas and foodies.
To make most of your stay in Singapore, it is highly-recommended to rent a car so you can easily get from one destination to another. Start comparing deals from major brands, including Avis, Budget, Europcar and Hertz at VroomVroomVroom to find a rental car that will best suit your budget and needs.
What documents do you need to travel to Singapore
If it is your first time to visit Singapore, make sure you have a checklist of all the basic requirements below.
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the time of departure
- Confirmed onward or return ticket (where applicable)
- Sufficient funds for the length of your stay (maximum of 20,000 SGD)
- Entry documents to their next destination (e.g. a visa)
- Completed Disembarkation/Embarkation Card
- Singapore visa (if applicable)
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate (if applicable)
For more information, visit the official Singapore Government website.
What are the car rental requirements in Singapore
Singapore has good public transportation, but you will have more freedom to explore the country with a rental car. Here are some things you need to know before renting a car.
- Minimum age is 23 years old (drivers aged 25 below may incur a young driver surcharge)
- Maximum age is 74 years old (drivers aged 70 to 74 may also incur a charge)
- A valid Singapore driving licence held for at least 12 months for Singapore citizens, Permanent Residence, and foreigners residing in Singapore for more than a year
- Valid foreign license and International Driving Permit (IDP) or official translation of foreign licence in English for foreigners
- Valid driving license for residents of ASEAN member countries
- Credit card for payment
Requirements and rates may vary per rental company so make sure to check the supplier's Terms and Conditions.
Driving tips in Singapore
If it is your first time to drive in Singapore, it is important to know the road regulations. To guide you in your trip, check out some basic driving tips below.
- Drive on the left side of the road
- Don't exceed the standard speed limit of 50km/h on roads and 70 to 90 km/h on expressways
- Watch out for motorcyclists who ignore lane markings
- Keep the headlights on between 7 pm and 7 am
- Don't drink and drive because the Blood Alcohol Content limit is 80mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood
- Using mobile phone (unless hands-free) while driving are prohibited
- It is mandatory to use seat belts and child seats
- Stay on the right lane if you are planning to overtake
Things to be aware of in Singapore
Avoid getting into trouble by being aware of these Singaporean laws. These may save you from paying a huge fine or worse going to jail.
- Drawing graffiti is illegal
- Eating and drinking is not allowed on public transportation
- Durian fruit is also banned on public transportation
- You can only bring 2 packs of cigarettes into the country (one opened and one unopened)
- Electronic cigarettes are banned
- Smoke in designated smoking areas
- Don't drink alcohol in public after 10:30 pm
- No spitting and littering in public
- Chewing gum is banned unless it is used for medical purposes
- Never feed the pigeons
- Avoid jaywalking
- Don't forget to flush a public toilet