VroomVroomVroom VroomVroomVroom
Campervan parked by the water.

Campervans for beginners

If you’ve never rented a campervan before, there are some points you should keep in mind to make sure you get the right campervan for you.

If you’re new to renting a campervan in Australia, there may be some points you aren’t familiar with. There are some specific requirements for campervan hire in Australia, so it’s best to be familiar with the local rules and regulations before booking, and to read the terms of your rental agreement before you sign.

In the meantime, VroomVroomVroom has put together a list of ten things you should know before you rent a campervan in Australia.

Ten tips for campervan beginners

  • “Berth” refers to the number of people a vehicle can sleep

    Campervans are measured by berth, which refers to the number of people the vehicle can sleep. Two-berth campervans are ideal for couples but often don’t feature amenities, such as bathroom and kitchen facilities. Larger, six-berth motorhomes can sleep more people and generally include amenities. Keep this in mind when choosing a campervan.

  • If you’re under 18, you won’t be able to hire a campervan in Australia

    For most caravan suppliers, the minimum age to rent a campervan is the same as for car rentals — 21 years of age. Some rental companies will allow people under the age of 21 to rent a vehicle if they hold a valid driver’s licence, pay a young driver’s surcharge, and perhaps purchase additional insurance cover. Depending on the campervan rental supplier, those under 21 may only be able to rent certain vehicles. Double check with the campervan rental company to see what their specific requirements are.

  • You’ll need a credit card

    Although you can pay your deposit with a debit card, a credit card in the name of the primary driver is required for the security bond and additional charges. Campervan rental companies do not accept cash.

  • You’ll need a valid license and perhaps an International Driving Permit

    In most cases, you won’t need to present a special type of licence to rent a campervan — you’ll only be asked to present your standard and valid full Australian driving licence. Keep in mind that a probationary, learner permit, or provisional licence are not accepted for campervan hire. If your licence is in a language other than English, you’ll need to provide an International Driving Permit in conjunction with your valid licence. If you plan on adding additional drivers to the rental agreement, they’ll also need to present a valid licence in their name and meet the same requirements as the primary driver in order to be approved to drive the campervan. If you’re unsure as to whether your licence will be accepted, you should contact your prospective campervan provider prior to booking.

  • An excess liability amount will apply if any damage is caused to the vehicle

    Basic insurance is included in the rates, however, the campervan will also have an excess amount. You’ll be responsible for paying this excess amount in the event the campervan is damaged or lost. Furthermore, it’s a good idea to check your campervan or motorhome rental upon pick up for any existing damage; take photos of the vehicle to prove its condition prior to you driving it.

  • Australian law requires young children to have a child seat

    You can request a child seat upon booking. In Australia, children shorter than 145cm legally need to be secured in some form of child seat.

  • You will need to pay for use of toll roads

    If you travel on toll roads, you are responsible for paying the fees; you may need to set up an online account to pay. In Australia, toll roads can be found in Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne. There may be additional charges for larger vehicles.

  • Taking the vehicle on a ferry will void any insurance

    You are not permitted to take campervan rentals on ferries in Australia. This will void any insurance, and you’ll be liable to pay the full cost of any damage incurred. Certain rental providers will allow travel to Kangaroo Island, but you’ll need to check the terms and conditions of your rental or ask your rental provider about ferry exceptions.

  • There may be exclusions to roadside assistance

    When you rent a campervan, you’ll be able to request roadside assistance via your rental provider. Keep in mind, this may not cover things like flat batteries, flat tyres, fuel depletion, or keys being locked in the vehicle.

  • Pets are not permitted in the vehicle

    Service dogs are sometimes permitted, but this will need to be pre-authorised with the rental provider.