7 September School Holiday Getaways and Fun Ideas
Spring can be a great opportunity to bring your whole family, including your kids, to explore the major cities in Australia – from Sydney to Melbourne, Brisbane to Cairns and across to Perth – there are several attractions to see and events to enjoy during school holidays.
Cool things to do in Sydney with the kids
Visiting Sydney's famous zoos, amusement and theme parks, interactive museums, as well as trying new outdoor activities can be very delightful for you and your kids.
- Explore the wonders of the deep at Manly SEA LIFE Sanctuary.
- See the animal residents of WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo in Darling Harbour.
- Take your kids to some of the best swimming pools in Sydney.
- Visit the Sydney Olympic Park.
Cool things to do in Perth with the kids
We've narrowed down the long list of things to do in Perth with your munchkins!
- See the professional bell ringers at work in the Bell Tower.
- Spend a day enjoying over 25 rides and slides at the Adventure World.
- Unwind in one of the most stunning beaches in Australia – Rottnest Island.
- Come face to face with native and exotic animals at the Perth Zoo.
Cool things to do in Brisbane with the kids
We've also found some thrilling activities and fun attractions for kids (and adults) in Brisbane to make sure you never hear those two dreaded words: “Today's boring!”
- Try kayaking on the river or ride a segway at Riverlife.
- Try go-karting at Kingston Park Raceway in Logan or Slideways in Eagle Farm.
- Go for a swim at South Bank.
- Take a picnic and relax on an island such as Moreton Island.
Cool things to do in Melbourne with the kids
From wildlife parks, to interactive museums, kids' shows and festivals, to fun and mind-blowing outdoor adventures – Melbourne has it all.
- Pay a visit to the historic landmark Cooks' Cottage.
- Stop by at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image at Federation Square.
- Visit Phillip Island and catch the penguin parade in the evening.
- Enjoy the thrill of splashdown slides at Funfields.
Cool things to do in Cairns with the kids
- Go on snorkelling tour at the Great Barrier Reef.
- Experience Kuranda by train with Skyrail Rainforest Cableway.
- Skate your way to the Cairns Skate Park for a day of fun.
- Explore Aboriginal culture at the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park.
Cool things to do in Gold Coast with the kids
Still looking for fun activities in Gold Coast for your kids? Better check these!
- Pack a picnic and relax at the Burleigh Heads National Park.
- Take a walk via time and space at Infinity Attraction.
- Grant the kids a bird's-eye view of the rainforest at O'Reilly's Tree Top Walk.
- Teach your kid how to surf.
Cool things to do in Hobart with the kids
Here's a few favourite destinations in Hobart guaranteed to delight your little ones.
- Drop by at the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA).
- Get lost in Richmond Maze and Tearooms.
- Meet a Tasmanian Devil at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Visit the summit of Mt Wellington.
Now, if you are planning to travel to these cities, it would be very smart if you can book your flights, tours and accommodation well in advance. If you want to book a car hire, it is wise to reserve with VroomVroomVroom early to enjoy the lowest rates in rental cars.
Have we missed anything? Tell us in the comments section below.