What to do During the Ekka Weekend
It's nearly time for the Royal Queensland Show. Regions across southeast Queensland will be celebrating in August, so get ready to head to Brisbane and join in the festivities.
Consider hiring a car from one of our Brisbane locations so you can explore the city and make sure you don't miss out of any of the excitement of Ekka. Consider leaving your car parked at your accommodation and travelling to the Brisbane Showgrounds via public transport.
What can I do during the Ekka long weekend?
There will be plenty happening over the Ekka Weekend, so make sure you plan ahead so you can see as much as possible. Hosted at the Brisbane Showgrounds, there are plenty of activities for people of all ages at one of the biggest events of the year.
- Enjoy live music: Listen to live bands as they take the state at the Showgrounds. As well as many upcoming local artists you can enjoy listening to some great Australian country music stars.
- Take a thrilling ride on Sideshow Alley: If it is an extreme adrenaline rush you are after, travelling ride "The Beast" is for you. This massive swing can rotate 360 degrees, assuring visitors of an unforgettable experience. For the kids, there are plenty of rides including a Ferris Wheel and a carousel.
- See the animals: There will be plenty of adorable creatures to meet at the Showgrounds. Take the kids to Animal Boulevard, where they can get up close to sheep, pigs, horses and more.
- Sample some delicious food: Try some great food at the Woolworths Fresh Food Pavilion, and taste flavours from around the world along the outdoor Gourmet Plaza. Would you prefer to learn to cook? The Cooking Stage will host some of the best chefs in Queensland, giving visitors helpful tips.
- Horticultural displays: If you're interested in plants, you can learn more through interactive displays from top garden societies in the region.
- See the latest fashion: Inspired by the theme of natural fibres, see new designs in a number of fashion shows over the weekend.
Looking to escape the city instead? Try one of these great weekend getaways.
If you aren't happy to contend with the extra crowds and battle the traffic to get to the Showgrounds - there is another way. Brisbane is a fantastic starting point for some of Australia's best road trips. Within hours from the city you can reach secluded beaches, quirky Hinterland shops and beautiful national parks. Here are some suggestions for your weekend escape:
- The Sunshine Coast: The Sunny Coast is a popular weekend trip for Brisbane residents. Although it might be a bit slow-going heading up the Bruce Highway, once you reach Caloundra you will have the choice of a number of different beaches. Head to Noosa to enjoy beautiful swimming spots and hiking trails. Avoid the Noosa crowds by picking a location like Alexandra Headland, where the quieter beaches are perfect for a quick swim.
- Montville: Hidden away in the Blackall Range you will find the bustling town of Montville. Enjoy lunch at one of the delicious local restaurants nestled among the trees, and sample some of the best chocolates in Queensland. A walk up the town's main street will take you past a number of boutique stores selling locally-made artifacts. The scenic drive to Montville will take you through the stunning Hinterland, where you will be treated to incredible mountain views.
- Burleigh Heads: If surfing is more your style, head south to the famous Gold Coast. While the Gold Coast is not short of beaches to visit, try the open stretch of sand at Burleigh Heads for scenic views of the Surfers Paradise skyline and some great waves. You can also continue your day hiking in the Burleigh Heads National Park.
- The Granite Belt: For a weekend spent tasting delicious local wines, visit the inland Granite Belt region and stop in at towns like Stanthorpe and Ballandeen. Along with the enticing selection of chardonnay, shiraz and semillon, visitors can also visit numerous cafes and restaurants serving up great locally-produced food. The beautiful countryside is an added bonus to this weekend getaway.
- Springbrook National Park: For fans of the great outdoors, you can't beat Springbrook National Park. Located within easy reach of Brisbane, spend your day hiking along fantastic trails through rainforests and valleys. The park is home to waterfalls, clifftops and impressive lookouts. You will not be short of trails to explore in this national park.