Three Western Queensland Towns That Are Worth-Visiting
Ditch the beach for the outback and visit these three Western Queensland towns that are full of charm and Aussie spirit for a road trip you won’t forget. Book your rental car with VroomVroomVroom and explore all that the Queensland outback has to offer.
Known as the heart of the Queensland outback, there's so much to see, do and explore, right here in Longreach.
- This award winning Qantas Founders museum is where you can learn about the founding of Qantas through impressive displays. Did you know that this is where the first hanger and purpose-built landing field was created?
- The Thomson river is the perfect place for a sunset cruise along the water. Outback sunsets are like no other and definitely worth enjoying on your road trip. You can also go on a scenic flight in the area to see the Aussie outback from a whole new perspective.
- Experience what it would have been like to ride on a stage coach back in the day in an award-winning ride through the Longreach-Windorah mail route.
Directions from Townsville: Take Southern Port Road to Flinders Highway / A6 in Stuart . Follow State Route 62 to Landsborough Highway/A2 in Winton. Follow Flinders Highway / A6 to Moran Street in Hughenden. Follow Landsborough Highway/A2 to Cassowary Street in Longreach.
Found in Queensland's Maranoa Region, Roma is a stunning town that is filled with endless history and amazing sights.
- The Big Rig tourist park is a must-stay while you explore Roma. Located centrally, The Big Rig is perfect for families and is a great place to relax on your road trip.
- Similar to all of Western Queensland, Roma is filled with iconic Aussie countryside that is definitely a highlight when on a road trip in the outback.
- Visit the largest bottle tree in Roma and get an iconic photo while you are there. Check it out at the end of Edwardes Street.
- Did you know that this is the oldest winery in Australia? Established in 1863, the beautiful Romavilla Winery is known for its delicious Riesling, Viognier and Chenin Blanc.
Directions from Brisbane: Get on the M3 and then follow Warrego Highway and A2 to McDowall Street in Roma. This drive will take you approximately 5 hours and 45 minutes.
Just a 2 hour drive between the two, Mitchell is a town set on the Maranoa River. From hot springs to stunning hikes, this vibrant town is the perfect place to visit on a road trip.
- For an experience you will never forget, you can go on a guided tour where you trek through the Yumbas indigenous ‘bush tukka trail’.
- Explore this pristine national park and get in touch with natural in Carnarvon National Park.
- Located in the cultural hub or Mitchell, the Maranoa Art Gallery showcases art from local, regional and national artists in the old Maranoa Picture Theatre.
- Fancy relaxing in a natural hot spring from the artesian basin? You can do exactly that right here in Mitchell.
Directions from the Gold Coast: Get on Pacific Motorway / M1 in Nerang from Ashmore Rd / State Route 24 and Nerang Broadbeach Road / State Route 90. Follow Pacific Motorway/M1, Warrego Highway and A2 to Alice Street in Mitchell