Guide to Driving and Hiring a Car in England for Aussies
Who wouldn't love driving in England? It is a beautiful place that can be explored any time through out the year. For Australian tourists, the drive through the countryside is actually quite beautiful and the forests and parks look different to Australia because they aren't filled with native Australian's flora like gum trees.
If you're looking to visit the UK but do not know when is the best time to go, summer (from June to August) is the perfect time. Spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) can be popular times to visit too.
Top tips for driving in the UK
If you are you planning on renting a car for your next holiday in England, click here to start comparing rental cars in the UK.
- The Brits say "car hire" 90% more than "car rental" based on the report released by Statista.
- Book sooner than later to avoid price increase from low demand.
- Costs much more if you "just turn up" without booking.
- Brits drive on the left side of the road just like the Aussies.
- Station wagon is commonly called as estate car while a 4-door car or sedan is often called as a saloon.
- The term petrol-head (also petrolhead) refers to someone with a strong interest in cars (especially high performance cars) and motor racing (US: gearhead or motorhead).
- London has five airports: the London Heathrow, London Gatwick, London Luton, London Stansted and London City Airport. Four of which are a long way from the CBD: Manchester Airport, Birmingham Airpot, Bristol Airport and Newcastle Airport.
- New data from the Department of Transport reveals that BMWs are very common in London.
- Driving out of London is recommended. Here's some information for tourists who are planning to rent a car and drive in Europe.
- Campervans are very popular too. In fact, more than £1.8bn is currently laid out on caravan holidays across Britain each year and 51 million nights are spent in different forms of caravans each year, according to The Telegraph.
Remember that before you hop in car hire, it is essential to check the driving regulations in t he UK so you wouldn't get in any trouble. Some of the important information mentioned here are the speed limit, parking, and congestion charging. Click here if you want to know more about the driving licence changes implemented by The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
Should you have any queries or require additional information, don't hesitate to contact our outstanding and friendly customer care team.