- see

What Type of Licence Do I Need to Rent a Campervan in Australia?

Campervan licence requirements

In most cases, you won’t need to present a special type of licence. You’ll only be asked to present your standard driver's licence when collecting your campervan rental. Keep in mind that your driver licence will need to be valid, meaning it can't be expired, probationary, a learner permit, or a provisional licence. If you’re unsure as to whether your licence will be accepted, you can contact your prospective campervan provider prior to booking.

If you plan on adding additional drivers to the rental agreement, they’ll also need to present a valid licence in their name and meet the same requirements as the primary driver in order to be approved to drive the campervan.

Can I Rent a Campervan With My Foreign Driver Licence?

If your licence is in a language other than English, you’ll need to provide an International Driving Permit in conjunction with your standard, valid licence at the campervan rental counter. The International Driving Permit will need to be prepared in advance as you will need to present it when collecting the vehicle.

Want to know more about renting a campervan in Australia? Check out these handy guidelines.


When Renting a Campervan in Australia

The primary driver—and any additional drivers—must present a valid driver licence in their name when collecting the vehicle at the rental depot. If your licence is not printed in English, you’ll need an International Driving Permit.