Phone Numbers
  • Australia
    1300 096 189
  • Canada
    800 390 1778
  • New Zealand
    0800 003 926
  • United States
    800 390 1778
  • United Kingdom
    44 20 3137 2159

Insurance for Campervan Rentals

campervan insurance

All protection products are optional and not compulsory to purchase when you rent a campervan in Australia. If you've hired a car before, you'll know that campervans also include an excess amount that renters will be required to pay for any damage caused to the vehicle. Please note that these may vary between suppliers, with a few offering full cover at an extra cost.

What insurance should I get when renting a campervan in Australia?

Hiring a campervan and starting your road trip adventure is exciting! Understanding your liability if the vehicle is damaged or stolen is a little less exciting, however, it is important to ensure that you are confident when you hit the road. We've outlined some of the options available to you when renting a campervan in Australia.

Option 1: Purchase Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance

Hiccup Insurance provides cover for motorhomes and campervans that do not exceed 4.5 tonnes that are rented from a licensed motor vehicle rental company or agency.


  • Choose your preferred level of cover:$4,000, $6,000 or $8,000 excess cover available.
  • A specialised rental vehicle excess insurance that provides cover for the items commonly excluded in the rental company's basic excess.
  • Provides excess insurance cover for damage to rental vehicles, as well as any liability for single vehicle accidents.
  • Provides cover for both single vehicle accident (SVA) and multi-vehicle accidents.
  • Provides cover for windscreens, tyres, auto glass, roof, overhead, underbody of the rental vehicle.
  • Provides cover for all travellers within Australia from any residency.
  • Provides cover for nominated driver(s) listed on the Rental Vehicle Agreement. Note that age restrictions apply subject to the policy chosen. Plans are available for drives aged between 21 - 75 years of age.
  • Up to $1,500 cover ($500 per person) for your luggage and personal effects if they are stolen or accidentally damaged.
  • Read the Product Disclosure Statement carefully for a list of full terms and conditions.


  • Like any other travel insurance policy, this specialised Rental Vehicle Excess (RVE) Insurance product offers reimbursement for out of pocket expenses. When an incident occurs, the motor vehicle rental company will charge your credit card for the vehicle repair or replacement cost (capped at your excess value). You would then lodge a claim form with Allianz Global Assistance who would process your request.

Option 2: Purchase excess cover from the supplier


  • There's no need to wait for the excess refund.
  • You can make a purchase at the time of campervan pick up.


  • It's important to check the fine print of what is and is not included in the rental company's products before making a purchase. These products may exclude cover for damage to important items like:
    • the undercarriage;
    • overhead;
    • tyres;
    • windscreen; and
    • single vehicle accidents (SVAs).

Option 3: Choose to do nothing


  • The choice is entirely your own if you want to reduce your risk by purchasing Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance from an insurance company or campervan supplier. You are not legally required to do so.


  • In case of an accident (major or minor), campervan suppliers will instantly charge your credit card a maximum damage excess fee of between $3,000 and $8,250subject to your chosen campervan type and the supplier. Your specific excess will be listed in your Rental Agreement that you sign at the rental desk when collecting your vehicle.
  • You will be required to pay out of pocket for the full amount of the damage up to the excess amount. If the cause of damage is a breach of the rental terms and conditions, you could be liable for the full repair or replacement cost.

Read more about picking up a campervan in Australia.

Remember that protection products are optional and not required to purchase, however, you can have a couple of options if you want to protect yourself from paying any large damage fees in the event anything happens to the vehicle. You can choose to purchase Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance, or you can avail the coverage directly from the supplier at the time of pick up in order to have a hassle-free holiday road trip.