Brisbane in a Rental Car
A rental car is the perfect way to explore Queensland's capital city. Brisbane is a great base to visit world-famous locations like the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast and Australia Zoo. There is also plenty worth exploring in Brisbane itself. Here is a guide to navigating Brisbane in a rental car.
A quick guide to Brisbane
- The CBD: You will find plenty to do in Brisbane city. From luxury shops to some of the best restaurants in the state, you will find all you need here.
- South Bank: This is one of Brisbane's most popular areas. Beautiful gardens and parklands are spread across the shore of the Brisbane River, with museums, art galleries, and even a man-made beach!
- Kangaroo Point: If it is great views of the city you are after, and quiet walking trails, head to Kangaroo Point. You can even try abseiling down the cliff walls.
- Fortitude Valley: The entertainment hub of Brisbane is located just north of the city. With vintage shops, and multicultural dining options, the area is also home to Chinatown.
- Milton: For any football fans, a visit to Milton is a must. See Queensland's iconic Suncorp Stadium up close.
Driving tips in Brisbane
- If it is your first time driving in Australia, remember to keep to the left hand side of the road.
- You can drive with a valid licence, printed in English. If your driving license is not in English you will need an International Driving Permit to drive in Australia.
- Avoid driving at peak times, when the roads can be busy. With a lot of workers commuting between the city, the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast, the highways leading in and out of Brisbane are often slow.
- You are required to wear a seat belt at all times.
- If you are travelling to other destinations in Queensland, be sureto take plenty of breaks as distances between locations can be great in Australia.
Parking in Brisbane city
There are plenty of secure parking lots located in central Brisbane. If you are parking on the streets, make sure you pay at the meter and adhere to the time limits displayed.
Find car parking at King George Square, MacArthur Central, Wintergarden and more. You can sometimes find discounted parking by booking online.
Are there toll roads in Brisbane?
Yes, there are toll roads in Brisbane. These are cashless toll roads so you will need to set up a pass online to pay for your use of the road.
Major toll roads in and around the city include the Gateway Motorway, Logan Motorway, Clem7 Tunnel, AirportLink M7, the Go Between Bridge, and Legacy Way. If you use these roads you must pay the toll within three days of travel.
Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast: 1hr 25mins
Brisbane to the Gold Coast: 1hr
Brisbane to Toowoomba: 1hr 40mins
Returning your rental car
- Shell:44 Barry Parade, Fortitude Valley
- BP: 119 Milton Rd, Milton
- 7-Eleven: 508 Vulture St, East Brisbane
There is a lot to see in Brisbane. Enjoy shopping at Queen Street Mall, where you will find all the biggest brand names. Visit the Queensland Museum and Gallery of Modern Art at South Bank. You can also enjoy a cruise along the Brisbane River.