Best Sydney Road Trip Routes
Driving is one of the best ways to experience Australia, a country known for its scenic roads. Whether you are visiting Sydney for the first time, or a local looking for a weekend getaway, pick up a rental car and hit the road. VroomVroomVroom has put together a list of some of the most enjoyable road trips from Sydney.
Sydney to the Blue Mountains
The Blue Mountains are a maze of eucalypt bushland, waterfalls, rainforests and unique rock formations. The region is abundant in natural wonders, and is home to unique Australian wildlife. Follow the many bush-walking trails to enjoy the best of the Blue Mountains.
Head west on the M4. The road leads into the Great Western Highway which will take you through many of the Blue Mountains' popular villages.
- ScenicWorld: Stop in and see the magnificent Three Sisters in Katoomba. Follow bush-walking trails to discover native plants and wildlife.
- Everglades Historic House and Gardens: Located in Leura, these beautiful gardens also provide stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
Sydney to the Hunter Valley
One of Australia's most popular wine regions, and the venue for a number of music events, there are a lot of reasons to travel to the Hunter Valley. Start at Cessnock and take some of the many scenic drives to enjoy views of the valley.
Take the Pacific Motorway north from Sydney, heading toward Newcastle. Exit onto Freeman's Drive and follow signs for Cessnock. The journey should take about two hours.
- The Hunter Wine Theatre: Visit this attraction in Pokolbin to learn more about the Hunter Valley and its local wineries.
- Broke: Broke is just one of the many beautiful villages you will find in the Hunter Valley. Sample some delicious wines at the different cellar doors, and enjoy fantastic views.
Sydney to Kangaroo Valley
Located in between two mountain ranges, the winding road to Kangaroo Valley is definitely worth the effort. There are plenty of accommodation options in the valley, and visitors can enjoy kayaking, golf and more. Visit impressive waterfalls and historic sights while you explore Kangaroo Valley.
Head south on the Hume Motorway. Exit the motorway at Aylemerton and bear east toward Kangaroo Valley.
- Hampden Bridge: Visit Australia's oldest surviving wooden suspension bridge and admiring the interesting Victorian design.
- Gerringong Falls: The Jamberoo Mountain Road will take visitors to the beautiful Gerringong Falls, 550 metres high.
Sydney to the Central Coast
Between Sydney and Newcastle you will find incredible beaches, lakes and charming towns. The area also features many popular hiking trails through the surrounding bushland.
Head north on the Pacific Motorway. There are a number of different exits you can use for the Central Coast, depending on which town you are visiting.
- Umina Beach: Visit Umina Beach where you can enjoy some great surfing opportunities.
- The Entrance: The Entrance has become a popular holiday destination, and it is easy to see why. The region is home to some great beaches.
Sydney to the South Coast
Bordered by beautiful white-sand beaches, the driving distance from Sydney to Jervis Bay is 197 km (2.5-3 hours drive). You can stop at the Royal National Park (which is the deemed as the second oldest National Park in the world behind only Yellowstone), pull in at the Grand Pacific Drive, which takes you along the coast towards Wollongong and over the famous Sea Cliff Bridge, before continuing to Jervis Bay.
Head south from Sydney on the Princes Highway. After passing through Nowra, exit onto Forest Road to reach Jervis Bay.
- Jamberoo Action Park: This popular waterpark features many thrilling rides and swimming pools.
- Kiama: Enjoy beautiful coastal walks in Kiama. The town has become a popular getaway for Sydney locals.