Use VroomVroomVroom to Find a Top Motorhome and Campervan Hire in New Zealand
VroomVroomVroom can help you find the perfect campervan or motorhome rental for your New Zealandholiday. We partner with trusted suppliers to bring you the perfect vehicles at affordable prices. These include Maui, Apollo, Real Value, Jucy and Britz. Simply indicate your travel dates and preferred locations to pick-up and drop-off your vehicle, and compare camper and RV hire prices in top locations such as Auckland, Queenstown, Christchurch, and Dunedin.
Why Hire a Campervan in New Zealand?
New Zealand features abundant, beautiful scenery and accessible natural wonders. Motorhome hire is one of the best ways to experience the country, with many campgrounds in pristine natural environments. New Zealand was voted as "the best country in the world" by readers of the UK newspaper, the Telegraph. Come and find out what all the fuss is about, and experience New Zealand with the added comfort and convenience of a motorhome rental.
Popular Road Trip Routes
- Christchurch to Queenstown: Known as the most popular road trip in New Zealand, you’ll be able to see some of the best scenery in the world. On this road trip, make sure to experience Lake Tekapo's purple lupin flowers and hot springs, check out world-famous glaciers and of course, Mount Cook on your way down south.
- New Zealand Wine Trail: From Napier to Hastings, Martinborough, Picton, and Blenheim, you will be able to explore some of the best wineries in the world, right here in pristine New Zealand.
- Auckland to New Plymouth : Starting in The Hakarimata Scenic Reserve and ending at Mount Taranaki, a road trip from Auckland to New Plymouth is truly unforgettable. Explore the crystal clear blue springs in Putaruru, the gorgeous Hamilton Gardens and Pirongia Forest Park on this road trip.
- Queenstown to Milford Sound: Taking just under 4 hours to get to, this route is a stunning display of nature at its finest, winding you through Fiordland National Park in your rental car.
- Thermal Explorer Highway : You’ll start your trip in Rotorua. From there you can follow the highway to Lake Taupo, and make a detour to the stunning Tongariro National Park.
The best of New Zealand...
- Best Hiking Destinations - Immerse yourself in iconic natural beauty and discover vast wilderness areas. Check out some of the most popular trails in New Zealand, including the Queen Charlotte Track and Cathedral Cove Track.
- Best Beach Destinations - Check out some of the beautiful beaches that make New Zealand an all-time favourite summer destination. Swim your worries away at Waihi Beach in the Bay of Plenty or go sea kayaking at Kaiteriteri Beach in Nelson.
- Best Sandboarding Destinations - Te Paki Sand Dunes, Hokianga Sand Dunes, Lake Wainamu Black Sand Dunes, and Sandfly Bay are our top picks for sandboarding.
- Best Destinations for Foodies - Calling all foodies! We reveal top road trip destinations for food lovers, including epic street food in Auckland and wine tasting in Marlborough.
- Best Summer Destinations According To Bloggers- Discover some of these stunning places and see why some of our amazing travel blogger friends chose Wairarapa, The Coromandel and Milford Sound as their favourite summer destinations.
Top Campervan Parks and Campgrounds in New Zealand
- Kennedy Park Resort Napier Holiday Park - This resort is Hawke’s Bay’s premier holiday experience offering a wide range of facilities, to keep the whole family entertained. It is host to first-class, cozy lodgings suiting any budget.
- Arrowtown Holiday Park - Only 700m from Arrowtown village centre, the park is close to shops, cafes, and restaurants with stunning views of the Remarkables mountain range. It offers first-rate campervan sites with power, water, and drainage hook-ups.
- Hahei Holiday Resort - Providing self-contained accommodation with free on-site parking, Hahei Holiday Resort is the ultimate campground. It is located in Hahei, just a 20-minute walk from famous Cathedral Cove and a quick drive to Hot Water Beach.
- Camp Waipu Cove - Just an easy drive north of Auckland, you will find this seaside holiday park at the southern tip of majestic Bream Bay. This is the perfect spot if you want to go surfing, boating, surfing, kayaking, or hiking.
- Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park - If you want to relax with stunning sea views of the park, this is the right place for you. Enjoy easy access to town, clean and comfortable facilities, and powered and unpowered sites when you stay with Belt Road Seaside.
- Wanaka Kiwi Holiday Park - Situated about 2km from the Lake Wanaka town centre, guests of Wanaka Kiwi Holiday Park will enjoy great on-site facilities. Amenities include free Wi-Fi, showers, undercover heated BBQ pavilions, and a large fully-equipped kitchen.
- Tahuna Beach Kiwi Holiday Park - This park is only 10 minutes' walk from Tahuna Beach. There is an array of accommodation options to choose from to suit every budget, from campsites and cabins to motel units.
- Opunake Beach Kiwi Holiday Park - Near the Egmont National park walking tracks, see why Opunake Beach Kiwi is an ideal family park. It is a great location for fishing and surfing with children's playground.
Top Attractions in New Zealand
- Fiordland National Park - Located in the South Island, not far from Queenstown, the national park is famous for its iconic fjords. Visitors can enjoy waterfalls and the perfectly reflective Mirror Lakes. The scenery in Fiordland is among the most beautiful in the world. Don't miss your chance to experience nature at its finest.
- Waitomo Glow Worm Caves - This is a popular tourist attraction on New Zealand's North Island, more than two hours drive south of Auckland. The walls of the cave are covered in the bright glow worms, and visitors can experience the unique sight on a walking tour or by boat. There are plenty of beautiful walking trails above ground as well.
- Hobbiton Movie Set - Situated two hours outside of Auckland, the movie set offers an unforgettable behind-the-scenes experience. Join a tour of the area that was used in the filming of the famous Lord of the Rings trilogy, and step into Middle Earth.
- Fox Glacier - This gives visitors a memorable hiking trip on the longest Glacier on the West Coast. Fox Glacier extends 13 kilometres and features many interesting ice formations. To enjoy the glacier from above, scenic flights are also offered. There are plenty of accommodation options nearby, as well as great local restaurants.
- Mt. Cook / Aoraki - This is New Zealand's highest peak, and the surrounding national park contains many exciting hiking trails. Visitors can see glaciers and the many towering mountains of the Southern Alps. There are trails of varying difficulty, so you can opt to explore one of the easier walks and enjoy the stunning scenery at your own pace.
Advice for Aussies Renting a Campervan in New Zealand
- Ensure you have all the required documents before arriving at the depot.
- Bring your valid driver's licence, along with a valid credit card to cover the security bond.
- Consider whether you need to purchase additional insurance products to protect your financial liability. Click here to get more information.
- Any additional drivers will also need to meet the same licence requirements.
- Freedom camping is not allowed in most parts of New Zealand. Be sure to stay at a designated campsite or caravan park to avoid fines. Camping in undesignated areas will receive a fine of $200 NZD.
- Consider whether you need to purchase additional insurance products to protect your financial liability.
- Decide which size, type and brand of campervan rental best suits your needs. Click here to know what type of campervan is perfect for you.
- Make sure the vehicle is returned in the same condition as you found it upon pick up. Check out our Camper Return Checklist to avoid paying extra charges. Read more campervan driving tips to help you prepare for your next holiday.
Benefits of Renting a Campervan in New Zealand
- Practical - Renting a campervan can be less expensive if you have a larger family. Basically, if you rent a campervan, you will have everything you need right there.
- Freedom and flexibility - A campervan holiday puts freedom and flexibility right at your fingertips. Visit any place you want at any time.
- Convenience - Most campervans and motorhomes are fully-equipped with everything you need to make your trip comfortable and memorable.
Check our map of New Zealand below for locations that offer campervan rentals: