Fast and Easy way to Compare,
Book and Save on your Car Hire.
  • Great Rates
  • Wide Selection of Cars
  • Trusted Since 2001
    Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App App StoreGoogle Store

    Will I need an International Driving Permit in Australia?

    International Driving Permit in AU guide banner

    If you are planning to rent a car in Australia, you will need to have a driver's licence that is printed in English. If your licence is in another language, you will need to present an International Driving Permit along with your licence from your country of residence. The International Driving Permit is a translation only, and will not be valid if it is not presented with the original licence. 

    Overseas licences are generally accepted from New Zealand, the United States or the United Kingdom. Licences from other countries may also be accepted in their original format, but you will need to check the terms and conditions of your rental booking.

    Your licence will still need to meet other requirements. For example, our suppliers will only accept driver's licences if they have been held for a minimum of 12 months. Provisional licences are mostly not accepted.

    Read more about what you need to know before booking.

    Just because your licence was not issued in Australia does not mean it will not be accepted. Generally, our suppliers will accept valid driving licences from countries such as New Zealand and the United States.