Top Mother's Day Destinations in Australia
What better way to spend Mother's Day than to take your mum on a memorable drive to one of these luxurious locations. A weekend getaway is the perfect gift, and undoubtedly will be an experience to remember. VroomVroomVroom have put together a list of some of our favourite Australian road trips for Mother's Day.
Indulge in tea and pastries in Melbourne
Afternoon teas, high coffees, and crafty teas are fast becoming popular in Victoria and you can find some of the best high tea venues in Melbourne. It is very relaxing and you can spend hours reminiscing or sharing new experiences.
Recommended car: Rent a compact car to easily get around the city.
Where to stay? There are plenty of accommodation options in Melbourne. Stay at Southbank so you can enjoy a leisurely stroll along the Yarra River.
- You and your mother can enjoy sipping on warm tea and nibbling on delectable snacks and desserts.
- While you're in Melbourne for the weekend, why not take a side trip to the Great Ocean Road and enjoy a meal overlooking the beautiful coastline.
- Consider visiting the Hopetoun Tea Rooms, which is known for their delicious scones and the kid-friendly High Tea at Crafternoon.
Getting there: Pick up a rental car from Melbourne Airport, or from one of the city depots to start exploring. Melbourne is well-connected to most major Australian cities by domestic airlines.
Feel pampered in luxurious rainforest villas on the Gold Coast
Escape all the hustle and bustle of the city by heading to the Gold Coast hinterland for a relaxing rainforest retreat.
Recommended car: Pick up a luxury car to make the drive even more special
Where to stay? Book a room in one of the beautiful villas at O'Reilly's - a perfect base for exploring the Hinterland.
- Your mum will surely feel rejuvenated after taking a dip at the Lost World Spa. Enjoy a picnic on the verandas of their historical homestead!
- You'll get a chance to see more than 500 different waterfalls, 160 kilometres of walking trails and 250 wildlife species almost as soon as you step out of your room.
- O'Reilly's features a wide range of accommodations – from Canopy Suites to luxurious Villas that offer breathtaking views of Lamington National Park.
Getting there: O'Reilly's is located almost 70km from the Gold Coast along Lamington National Park Road. You can pick up a rental car from the Gold Coast or from Coolangatta Airport.
Take a hot air balloon ride over Alice Springs
Road trips are fun because you can stop anytime to appreciate the sights, but hot air ballooning can let you gaze over your surrounding while floating up in the sky.
Recommended car: Hire a SUV when you drive to Alice Springs for extra space.
Where to stay? Base yourself in Alice Springs. The town has a lot of accommodation options and plenty of amenities.
- The experts say that the best place to ride the hot air balloon is over the Outback, where you can get a chance to see the spectacular Ayers Rock and other amazing landscapes.
- Outback Ballooning is the only balloon company in the country which operates in the remote Outback. The meeting place is in Alice Springs, and you can choose between a 30-minute or 60-minute balloon flight.
- While you've got a rental car, visit the fantastic Macdonnell Ranges. It is only a short journey.
Getting there: You can pick up a rental car from one of the many depots across Alice Springs. There are plenty of flights from other major cities to Alice Springs.
Enjoy a relaxing harbour cruise in Sydney
There are several companies that offer cruise packages on Mother's Day so find the one that will best interest your mum.
Recommended car:Book a compact car to navigate your way around Sydney's CBD.
Where to stay? There is no shortage of accommodation options in Sydney, with plenty of luxurious hotels located in and around Darling Harbour.
- Rhythm Boat Cruises will feature one of the country's top Abba tribute bands. Watch their live performance while enjoying the Sydney Harbour views and delectable lunch and dessert.
- Captain Cook Cruises, on the other hand, offers a special buffet lunch for all the mothers out there.
- While you're in Sydney, visit some of the other top sights. Admire the view from the Sydney Tower Eye or take a tour of the Opera House.
Getting there: Pick up a rental car from Sydney Airport and make your way into the city. Cruises leave from Darling Harbour or from Circular Quay.
Celebrate Mother's Day in other countries
- Best Mother's Day Road Trips Across New Zealand
- Perfect Mother's Day Road Trip Locations in the USA