Getting Around Perth in a Rental Car
Renting a car in stunning is the best possible way to get out and explore all that Western Australia has on offer. From Broome all the way down the coast to Lucky Bay, to the vibrant city scapes and national parks, a trip to Australia is never quite complete without delving into the magic that is Perth and its surrounds. For tips, tricks and everything you need to know about exploring Perth, take a look at our guide.
Where to drive your rental car in Perth
- The CBD: Have you really explored Perth if you haven’t checked out its stunning CBD? Once you fly into Perth, you can pick up your rental car at the airport and drive straight to the city. The range of amazing restaurants are aplenty in the city and definitely worth checking out on your travels.
- Kings Park: Known as Perth's perfect picnic spot, Kings Park is a botanic garden just a short drive from the hustle and bustle of the city. With thousands of species of animals and a wide range of flora and fauna, you’ll be able to bask in sweeping views of the city and even the dreamy Swan River!
- Swan Valley: Fancy checking out some of Perth’s best wineries? The Swan Valley is a must-visit destinations for you. From famous wineries to excellent coffee roasters and even distilleries, lavender farms, restaurants and the annual Spring in the Valley, this place has got it all.
- Cottesloe Beach: Swap the river for the beach at Cottesloe. Enjoy a pure Aussie experience and grab some fish and chips by the water and enjoy the ocean at its finest. It gets better… the sand at Cottesloe Beach is pure white and the water is a turquoise blue.
Driving tips in Perth
- In Australia, you need to drive on the left hand side of the road.
- Your licence needs to be valid in order to drive in Australia.
- Distances in Western Australia can be long.
- Keep note that Perth is a city within Western Australia and is a great base to start a road trip in.
- Plan your drive ahead of time to avoid going the wrong way.
- Ensure that you have a full tank of fuel when you drive out to remote areas to avoid getting stuck.
Parking in Perth
Perth has an endless array of places to park your rental car. There are a few options for you to choose from. To start with, there is street parking in the city, this option is best for short stops in the city for a few hours. There is secure parking that is best for full day parking and is usually a flat rate. We recommend going online and searching for discounted parking in the city for the best deals.
Toll roads in Perth
There are no toll roads in Western Australia, including the city of Perth.
- Perth to Fremantle: 30 minutes
- Perth to Busselton: 2 hours 23 minutes
- Perth to Kalbarri National Park: 6 hours 18 minutes
- Perth to Esperance: 7 hours 34 minutes
Unless you have pre-purchased fuel, you will need to return your rental car with a full tank of fuel. Here is a list of petrol stations that are located centrally to the city.
- Caltex: Wellington St, Perth WA 6000
- Coles Express: 30 Thomas St, West Perth WA 6005
Alternatively, you can download the VroomVroomVroom App to see the closest petrol station to your return car rentals depot.
Driving guide map in Perth
We have listed down the airports, top locations, attractions, toll roads and fuel stations in Perth to guide you when driving your rental car.