Getting Around Melbourne in a Rental Car
Melbourne is Australia's second biggest city, and offers its visitors an unforgettable experience. The city is perfect for exploring in a rental car, with many of its major attractions scattered around the region. VroomVroomVroom can help you find affordable rental cars in Melbourne and locations around Australia.
Where to drive your rental car in Melbourne
- Southbank: Home to the city's Crown Casino and a number of iconic restaurants, Southbank is the centre of the action in Melbourne. Find many entertainment venues along this stretch of the Yarra River.
- Docklands: On Melbourne's waterfront, visitors will find plenty of interesting attractions in Docklands, including the Star Observation Wheel.
- St Kilda: Many people know St Kilda as the home of Luna Park, but the region is more than that with delicious cafes and beautiful waterfront views.
- Brighton: If it's the beach you are after, head to Brighton where you will find golden sands marked with colourful beach huts.
- CBD: Hidden laneways decorated with street art, shopping centres, an aquarium and historic sights all await in the Melbourne CBD.
Driving Tips in Melbourne
- Keep an eye out for trams. Trams are common in central Melbourne, and drivers must give way to them. You are not permitted to overtake a tram to their left.
- On central roads you will generally be limited to 40km per hour.
- You are not permitted to use your mobile phone while driving.
- Remember to keep to the left hand side of the road in Australia.
- Familiarise yourself with a hook turn. This is a unique turn in Melbourne where trams are also crossing an intersection. Signs will indicate that you need to turn right from the left hand lane.
Parking in Melbourne
A lot of parking in central Melbourne is metered, so be sure to pay your fee. Most bays have a limit of one hour, but time restrictions generally end after 8.30pm. Parking is generally more than $5 per hour in the CBD. The Council House car park provides day parking with easy access to central Melbourne. You will find the lot at 200 Little Collins Street. If you are in search of car parks at the airport, there are many parking options available. Click here to find the best Melbourne Airport parking deal for you.
Toll roads in Melbourne
There are a number of toll roads that operate in Melbourne. These include the M3, Southern Link (Monash Freeway), Tullamarine Freeway and Batman Avenue.
There are no cash booths on Melbourne's toll roads. You can either pre-purchase a pass online, or make a payment up to 3 days after you use the road.
- Melbourne to Geelong: 1h 20m
- Melbourne to Apollo Bay: 3hrs
- Melbourne to Ballarat : 1hr 50min
Before you return your rental car to the depot, make sure you fill it up with fuel. If you return the car without a full tank, you will face additional charges. Here are a few centrally located petrol stations in Melbourne:
- United Petroleum - 151 Kings Way
- 7 Eleven Royal Melbourne - 45 Flemington Rd, North Melbourne
- Ecco Service Station - 422 Bay St, Port Melbourne
There is plenty to see and do in Melbourne. Visit famous tourist attractions such as Federation Square, the Melbourne Botanic Gardens, Eureka Tower and Southbank. It is also worthwhile exploring some of Melbourne's hidden laneways and checking out the interesting artworks.
Read more about Melbourne: