Getting Around Adelaide in a Rental Car
Listed as one of the nine Great Wine Capitals of the World, the charming city of Adelaide is perfect for exploring in a rental car. There are always fun things to do here, with many of its tourist attractions evenly split around this vibrant capital of South Australia. We at VroomVroomVroom can help you find and compare top rental cars in Adelaide and locations around Australia.
Where to drive your rental car in Adelaide
- Kangaroo Island: Deemed as the third largest island in Australia, there are plenty of things to see and do here. Not to be missed attractions include the Flinders Chase National Park, Vivonne Bay and Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park.
- Barossa Valley: There are several regions in SA which produce world-class wine, but one of the most historic and worth the visit is the Barossa Valley.
- Port Lincoln: Only an hour away by plane, Port Lincoln is perfect for you if you dig nature and wildlife, as well as the natural wonders and pristine coastline.
- Flinders Ranges: With its beautiful landscape, a visit to the Flinders Ranges is something every traveller should experience.
Driving tips in Adelaide
- In the urban area, the default speed limit is 50 kph unless otherwise signposted.
- The speed limit on most Australian highways is 100 kph.
- Take note that only a few roads permit you to travel at a maximum speed of 110 kph.
- The driver and all his/her passengers must wear a seatbelt or child restraint at all times.
- Remember that police officer conducts speed checks via speed cameras and radar along with all types of roads.
Parking in Adelaide
The city has more than 42,000 parking spaces today, which is the biggest number of any capital city, and greater than Melbourne and Perth combined. If you are planning to drive around the city, please note that Adelaide has both short and long-term parking facilities available. In addition to that, Park'n'Ride services, as well as disability access and event parking provide both visitors and residents numerous options while they enjoy exploring the city. If you are looking for a parking near the airport, check out our list of car park providers to find the best Adelaide Airport parking deals.
Tip: Be wary and always check the parking signs before you park as parking signs usually change.
Are there toll roads in Adelaide?
There are currently no toll roads in Adelaide or South Australia.
- Adelaide to Olympic Dam: 6 h 33 min
- Adelaide to Kangaroo Island : 3 h 49 min
- Adelaide to Coober Pedy: 8h 43 min
- Adelaide to Adelaide Hills: 44 min
- Adelaide to Port Lincoln: 6 h 55 min
- Adelaide to Port Augusta: 3 h 23 min
- Adelaide (CBD) to Adelaide Airport: 11 min
Before you return your hire car to the depot, make sure you have filled it with fuel to avoid paying for extra charges. Check out some centrally located petrol stations in Adelaide:
- Caltex Woolworths, 15 Hackney Rd, Hackney SA
Caltex Australia Limited,144 Hutt St, Adelaide SA
Silvers Auto, 174 Gilbert St, Adelaide SA
- Shell, 111 West Terrace, Adelaide SA
Adelaide Motors City Service Station, 299 Hindley St, Adelaide SA
Coles Express, 111 West Terrace, Adelaide SA
No matter what season you plan to visit, you will find plenty of things to see and do in Adelaide. From exceptional food and wine to world-class events and festivals as well as home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, you will find all you need here. Major highlights in Adelaide include the Adelaide Botanic Garden, North Terrace, Art Gallery of South Australia, South Australian Museum, Adelaide Zoo, Cleland Wildlife Park, Adelaide Festival Centre, Victoria Square and Glenelg.
Read more about driving tips in Australia