4WD and Off-Road Driving: Advice from VroomVroomVroom
There are many places in Australia where the best way to explore is off-road, or on a 4-wheel drive track. There is something thrilling about driving in remote areas and exploring places off the beaten path. Since our suppliers don't allow rental cars off road, VroomVroomVroom has listed the companies that offer 4WD hire across the country. If you are still unsure where to begin your Aussie offroading adventure, check out some of the most visited destinations in the Land Down Under where you can test your four-wheel driving skills.
Popular off road destinations in Australia
- The Simpson Desert is the fourth largest desert in the country and the largest sand dune desert in the world. It stretches between Birdsville and Dallhousie. It can be accessed via Brisbane and Alice Springs.
- Cape York Peninsula is the best place to visit if you want to test your off-road driving skills. There are several tracks to choose from including the CREB Track, which is one of the most challenging tracks in north Queensland.
- Victorian High Country is known for its steep tracks including The Deddick Trail. If you are coming from Melbourne, the driving time is around 2.5 hours via Hume Highway.
- Corner Country lets you experience an unforgettable outback adventure. This popular off road destination is situated at the northwest of New South Wales. It is around 4 hours away from Broken Hill via Silver City Highway.
- Fraser Island is our favourite off roading destination since it is near the VroomVroomVroom head office in Brisbane. This is the largest island in Queensland, and the biggest sand island in the world. The only way to get around this world heritage listed site is on former logging tracks that criss-cross the island, or by driving Eastern Beach, which is considered a highway.
Things to consider when renting a 4WD in Fraser Island
- Even though the beach has highway status, unfortunately, no cars from our national suppliers are permitted to be driven off-road, even if they are 4-wheel drive.
- There are many specialist 4-wheel drive hire companies who rent from the nearest mainland town of Hervey Bay. Renting from these companies isn't cheap; they have to build the risks associated with off-road driving into their prices.
- Book your car for the mainland/on road portion of your trip from VroomVroomVroom well in advance for the best price. Hervey Bay is around four hours' drive from our home town of Brisbane.
- A great idea is to break the drive up with at least one night on the gorgeous Sunshine Coast and explore Noosa, or the unspoilt sands of Marcoola Beach.
- Explore your options for a specialist 4-wheel drive rental in Hervey Bay. Most of these companies have secure lock-up parking for your hire car while you are on Fraser Island.
Off road driving tips in Fraser Island
- The 4-wheel drive companies will give you a briefing, with tips on sand driving.
- Your 4WD will come with traction boards, and a gadget to let down your tyre pressure if you get bogged.
- The inland tracks are single lane, so if you should meet someone coming the other way, one of you will need to reverse into the frequent passing bays to let the other through.
Where to rent a 4WD in Australia
|Vista 4WD Hire||1300 993 767||Brisbane and other Queensland locations|
|Andy's Auto Rental||1300 132 708||South East Queensland|
|Tropical Experience||07 4051 1120||Cairns|
|Safari 4WD Hire||07 4124 4244||Fraser Island and Hervey Bay|
|Aussie Campervans||03 9317 4991||Perth|
|Wicked 4x4||1800 24 68 69||Alice Springs, Broome and Darwin|
|Camperhire||1800 65 68 99||All Over Australia|
|Camperworld||08 9301 2765||Western Australia|
|Captain Billy's 4WD Hire||03 6248 5288||Cape York|